LET THEM LISTEN TO MOSES AND THE PROPHETS
Key Verse: 16:29
“Abraham replied, ‘They have Moses and the Prophets; let them listen to them.’
* This passage is closely related to the previous passage. Before answering the questions, read this passage carefully and prayerfully. Try to divide it into parts and discover how each part is related in the context of chapter 16 as a whole.
1. How did the Pharisees respond to Jesus’ teaching (14)? How did Jesus expose their spiritual problem (15)? Why is it a serious matter to justify oneself instead of repenting? What contrast did Jesus make? Why is it important to live before God?
2. How do the Law and the Prophets relate to God’s kingdom (16; 24:44; Jn 5:39)? To whom is the kingdom of God good news? What did Jesus teach about the continuing effectiveness of the Law (17)? How did Jesus apply this to the Pharisees (18)?
3. What are the contrasts between the rich man and Lazarus on earth (19-21)? What characterized the rich man’s life? After death, how was their situation reversed (22-23)? How did the rich man’s request reveal the painful reality of hell (24; Rev 21:8)?
4. Of what did Abraham remind the rich man (25)? How does the way a person lives on earth effect their eternal destiny? What do the words “a great chasm has been set in place” reveal about the finality of one’s eternal destiny (26)?
5. What great concern did the rich man have in torment (27-28)? Read verse 29. How did Abraham respond to his request (29-31)? How does Jesus teach the importance of listening to the word of God and repenting instead of seeking miracles?
|398||Luke 17:2-37 "The Kingdom of God Coming Through The Son of Man"||M. PK||2017.04.30||57|
|397||Luke 17:2-37 "The Kingdom of God Coming Through The Son of Man"||M. PK||2017.05.01||60|
|396||Luke 17:11-19 "Your Faith Has Made Your Well."||M. PK||2017.04.23||89|
|395||Luke 24:36-53 "You are witnesses of these things."||M. PK||2017.04.16||67|
|394||Luke 22:39-62 "Not My Will, But Yours Be Done."||M. PK||2017.04.02||71|
|393||Luke 22:1-38 "The New Covenant"||M. PK||2017.03.26||81|
|392||Luke 17:1-10 "We are unworthy Servants."||M. PK||2017.03.19||106|
|»||Luke 16:14-31 "Let them Listen to Moses and the Prophets"||M. PK||2017.03.12||63|
|390||Luke 16:1-13 "Use Worldly Wealth To Gain Friends."||M. PK||2017.03.05||67|
|389||Luke 15:11-32 "The Parable Of The Forgiving Father"||M. PK||2017.02.26||72|
|388||Mark 10:32-45 Jesus' Servant Leadership||M. PK||2017.02.19||63|
|387||Luke 15:1-10 "Rejoice over one sinner who repents"||M. PK||2017.02.12||82|
|386||Luke 14:25-35 "The Cost of Being Jesus' Disciple"||M. PK||2017.02.05||73|
|385||Luke 14:01-24 "Bring In The Poor, The Crippled, The Blind, And The Lame"||M. PK||2017.01.29||90|
|384||Luke 13:22-25 "Make Every Effort To Enter Through The Narrow Door"||M. PK||2017.01.22||82|
|383||Luke 13:10-21 "Woman, You are set free from your infirmity."||M. PK||2017.01.08||84|
|382||Luke 12:54-13:9 "Unless you repent..."||M. PK||2017.01.02||102|
|381||1 Timothy 4:1-16 "Train yourself to be godly."||M. PK||2016.12.25||74|
|380||1 Timothy 4:1-16 "Train yourself to be godly."||M. PK||2017.01.02||60|
|379||1 Timonthy 6:3-21 "Fight The Good Fight Of The Faith"||M. PK||2016.12.18||89|